Friday, June 24, 2011

AROUND THE HORN

***GIAMBI RETURNS TO NY***
Yes, the Giambino, as Michael Kay used to call him, will be the DH for the Rockies in all three games at the stadium this weekend.Giambi says he expects a few cheers when he's introduced, but will be booed if he hits a home run. I just hope he's retired the leopard print thong.

***REYES NIXES BORAS***
There are two monster free agents coming up this winter, Prince Fielder and Jose Reyes, and Scott Boras has one of them: Prince Fielder. Reyes would have been perfect for Boras, pitting the Yanks and Mets against each other and the usual Scott Boras "Mystery Team." However, as the NY Daily News said, "JOSE, NO WAY." Unfortunately for Scott (I love being able to say that), Fielder won't be as easy. His two favorite suckers, NY & Boston, are set at first base, so this "Mystery Team" is going to get a workout.

***SHE'S GOT EYES OF BLUE...***
As my Dad's favorite song goes, "...and that's my weakness now." Well, it turns out that blue eyes are a ball players weakness. Josh Hamilton has said that the reason he doesn't hit as well during day games is, that he has blue eyes. Yes, and my dog ate my homework. Actually, the intense Mr. Buck Showalter said the same thing to Tim Kurkjian a couple of years ago. I'm not a good one to ask, since my eyes are blue and they're so bad, one doctor said they were off the chart. No wonder I never made the Majors.

***RIGGLEMAN QUITS***
Washington National manager, Jim Riggleman, gave his GM an ultimatum: "Pick up my option for next year or I'm done now." Threatening your boss is never a good idea, and GM Mike Rizzo's response was predictable: "I accept your resignation." I think Riggleman's career is over with. No other team is going to hire a guy who quits on his team in the middle of the season over money. Who does he think he is, Manny Ramirez?

***ANNIE-O IS ON PROBATION***
Some of you may have noticed that on yesterday's blog with the two lists, that the second list contained a misspelling in the title. Picasner was spelled "Pacasner". My own name, for crying out loud and my editor blew it completely. Oh, don't go back and look, I've done her job and fixed it now. We will hope for better quality work in the future.

CP-

No comments: