Wednesday, July 29, 2009

BITS AND PIECES

***TRADE RUMORS ABOUND***
Since ESPN started their "Rumor Central" column, historically there has been a lot of rumors in the Winter and Spring, but not very much during the season. To quote Inspector Clouseau. "Not any more." I have never seen this much activity ever. There is more speculation over Doc Halladay than there ever was over Johann Santana. The latest (and Picasner's take):
Halladay to...whoever: Not gonna happen. No one will meet Toronto's price
Jarod Washburn to the Yanks: A distinct possibility, but the price will be high
??? to Boston: We've heard so much about the depth of Boston's pitching, that everyone thinks the Sox will overpay for whomever. Epstein's not stupid; they won't.
Cliff Lee to Philly: This is the most likely trade to actually happen
A trade involving Pittsburgh: No problem. I think even I could get an outfielder from them for my old baseball glove
A trade involving the Dodgers: Boy, would I be surprised. For every trade involving LA, I hear that they won't give up any prime prospects and want you to pick up the salary of the player they trade for. They even tried this on Toronto. Riccardi just laughed.

***$100 MILLION WORTH OF TROUBLE***
The Red Sox are becoming increasingly unhappy with their Japanese star, Daisuke Matsuzaka. Apparently, Daisuke believes the 'American' training methods are hurting him, not helping. He wants to throw pitch after pitch after pitch to strengthen his arm, while the Sox are interested in rest and healing. They are also unhappy with him insisting on pitching in the WBC (the start of his arm problems), coming to camp out of shape, not paying attention to the pitching coach and complaining to the Japanese press. He wants to work out his own training methods. as Terry Francona says, " If we did that and he had more arm problems, I'm sure owner John Henry would look at the $102 million and come to me and say 'What's going on?' If I say 'I don't know, we're letting him do it his own way,' John Henry probably wouldn't like that too much." I know; let's send him to Joe Torre.

***LAST CHANCE***
If you've never heard Vin Sully broadcast a baseball game, or maybe haven't in a few years, find a way to listen to one during the rest of the year. Word is he's going to retire at the end of the year and that's a shame. I don't think there ever WAS anyone better, nor will there ever BE any one better. A great understanding of the game, the perfect voice and he knew when to shut up. Even though I seldom got to hear him, it was somehow comforting to me to know he was out there. He might even deserve his own room in the Hall of Fame.

***NEWS FLASH***
Tony Bernazard of the Mets has been fired. As though that was unexpected. In spite of what Omar Minaya has said, it wasn't reporter Adam Rubin's fault. Omar is next, I believe.

No comments: