Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A BEE IN MY BONNET

Vod asked who will throw out the first ball at the Palatial Estates. Well, it won't be Jorge Posada who still can't reach 2nd base. Of course, I'm just guessing, never having played Major League ball, but I think this would be a problem for any catcher. Of course, it appears that's not going to stop Jorge from playing in the WBC. I still don't understand this tournament. If I owned the Yankees and I'm paying A-Rod $27 million, Jeter, $18 Million, Posada, $15 million, etc, there is no way I would let them risk their careers (and my money) in this worthless endeavor. I will ask again: who won the tournament last year? ...I thought so.

***THREE YANKEE QUESTIONS***
1. How did Xavier Nady lose so much respect over the winter? Everyone raved at the Yanks pickup last summer and I thought he played well but now it seems the Yanks can't wait to get rid of him.
2. Why are all the 'experts' so sure that Swisher is going to have this big breakout season?
3. The outfield. Vod is right; this is a huge question mark. Damon can hit but can't throw. Matsui can hit but can't run. Cabrera can field but can't hit. Gardner can run but can't hit (but he can sure run). Swisher doesn't want to play center and Nady's new number is "For Sale".

***JUSTIN CHRISTIAN SIGNS WITH BALTIMORE***
This is upsetting. In my evaluation, Christian had more potential than Gardner. Yes, Gardner is faster, but Christian is fast enough and Picasner believes he will outhit Gardner.

***BORAS BEING SHOVED ASIDE AGAIN?***
Last Year, A-Rod negotiated his deal WITHOUT Boras in the room. Now Varitek appears to be going the same route. He met directly with the Red Sox also without Boras. Lets not sell Scott short. This may actually be his latest ploy. I wouldn't be surprised.

***CUBS TRADE FELIX PIE***
This is a young 'phenom' that the Cubs have soured on. We'll see how he does with the Orioles. On a side note, apparently Bartolo Colon tried to buy him till he found out it was a player and not a new dessert.

***TEXAS STILL WORKING ON THE SHORTSTOP SITUATION***
It seems they are close to signing 42-year old Omar Vizquel to back up 20-year old Elvis. Is George Bush advising the front office?

***I HOPE EVERYONE IS SITTING DOWN***
Who was triple A Scranton's 'Pitcher of the Year'? Who led the team in wins and was 2nd in the league in wins? Kei Igawa. ...and that's no typo. 14-6 with a 3.45 ERA. He's been invited to camp...to pitch batting practice, I hope. Why isn't he playing in the WBC?

***SPEAKING OF THE WBC...***
The answer to the earlier question - Japan won last year (without Igawa).

24 DAYS TO PITCHERS AND CATCHERS (including catchers who can't throw and pitchers who can't pitch - Posada & Igawa)

No comments: