Friday, September 05, 2008

HERE WE GO AGAIN

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." A 3 game winning streak, hits falling like raindrops and a lights-out relief corp. I'm back on the bandwagon again. Sucker! Sucked in like a country bumpkin at a carnival. "Step right up, son. It's good to watch them." Steamrolled, 7-0 when I left it. I had to wait for Sportscenter to find out they threw a little scare into the Rays in the 9th. I'll never learn: a 55 year habit is hard to break. Where's Baseball Anonymous when you need it? Where's my sponsor?

I see Ozzie Guillen is happy. His biggest (and most vocal) detractor, Jay Mariotti of the Chicago Sun-Times is no longer with the paper. I don't know why and neither does Ozzie, but that hasn't stopped him from breaking out the champagne. Don't celebrate too hard, Ozzie, I'm sure there's a long line waiting to fill that void.

From Thomas Bonk of the L.A. Times: MLB's $65 million ad campaign for the playoffs -
"There's only one October." Is that the best they can do? Like there's two Septembers or something?

There is not a lot of respect out there for the NY football Giants. The current odds of them repeating are 25-1 according to John Avello, director of sports operations at Wynn Las Vegas. And how bad is that? Mr. Avello is a native New Yorker and a big NY Giants fan. Save your money Big Blue fans.
Of course, the 4-point favored Giants promptly go out and beat Washington 16-7.

As if I didn't have enough problems trying to umpires in line, now I have to watch Official Scorers, too. Yesterday, Jason Bartlett, Ray's shortstop was given an error on a hot shot which is later changed to a hit. CC Sabathia fumbles a bunt which is scored a hit and the Brewers lobby to have it changed (so he could get a no-hitter).
There is no consistency with scorers and often a lot of hometown bias. I have heard the suggestion that there should be THREE scorers at each game, instead of one. Yeah, that'll work. "...and the majority ruling is...". What's next? Senate hearings? Actually, an suggestion was offered a few years ago which actually made sense (which is probably why it was ignored): Increase the umpire crews to five and include official scorer as part of the rotation. This idea has THREE benefits:
1. Build consistency in scoring
2. Eliminate hometown bias.
3. Combine two of my irritations into one.
All in favor...

No comments: