Sunday, September 21, 2008

GOODBYE YANKEE STADIUM

My special in-person moments:

DON LARSEN'S PERFECT GAME: A lone Dodger fan in a sea of Yankee fans, cheering for Brooklyn. He stood up all alone to applaud Mantle's great catch and nearby Yankee fans bought him beer, including my Dad. "That's a true fan," was his explanation.
Watching my Dad actually cry after the game and my Mom not really understanding what she just witnessed.

YANKEES - ORIOLES, SOMETIME IN 1960: Watching with 2 friends (Dodger fans). Mantle gets 4 hits, Clete Boyer makes two unbelieveable plays at third. Even my two friends were impressed.

OLD-TIMER'S DAY WEEKEND (1960 OR 61): At the Friday night game with my two cousins in the mezzanine and getting Phil Rizzuto's autograph.

YANKEES - TEXAS (1978 or 1979): My three kids first major league game, sitting in the upper deck and all 5 of us afraid to stand up (It's VERY steep).

YANKEE STADIUM TOUR - 2007: The guide incorrectly answering my question about the fences (Those WERE the original fences). Sneaking down the tunnel in the Yankee dugout.

THE FACADE!! Only at Yankee Stadium.

I understand Billy Crystal's remarks about never seeing grass so green before or since. That it looked like you needed a car to get you to your position in center field.

1956 WORLD SERIES - GAME 3: 12 years old, walking on the field and standing in the dugout after the game (I have pictures).

No comments: