Thursday, August 21, 2008

MORE RANTS (NO RAVES)

Ahh, my favorite rant: Major League Umpires.

First: Baseball announces the start of instant replays (on home runs only), which is a good thing. For reasons that are not clear to me, the umpires boycotted a phone call to discuss this (How do you boycott a phone call? Stand with your back to a ringing phone? Pick up the handset but refuse to listen?) I can understand that they might have some questions on it's implementation, but...a boycott? Just another example of their arrogance. You are NOT the boss of baseball; you WORK for baseball. My Dad had the best definition of an employer/employee relationship:
"The boss marks the spot and I dig the hole." Got it?
By the way, the umpires are now on board. I guess we had to be shown how important they are, first.

The Rays' BJ Upton (A.K.A. Mr Hustle), gets tagged out at first for "attempting to go to 2nd". I saw the play on Youtube before it was "removed" and I have to say it was a pretty chickenshit call, even by the broadest interpretation of the rule. Of course, the umpires won't discuss it because...well, maybe they'd have to admit they blew it?
Even dumber is the crew chief saying "I've called players out for less". FOR LESS??
When did he ever call anyone out for this? I've never seen this called ever at the Major League level. When are these boys going to be shut down? Maybe we have to rename it "Major League Umpire's Baseball". Sorry, Mr Selig.
I hope the umpires don't read this: I'd hate to be thrown out of watching tonight's game.

No comments: