Wednesday, June 04, 2008

PICASNER STAYS HONEST

Yesterday, ESPN ran a survey: "Should the Yankees make Joba a starter?"  When I last checked, there were 15,000 votes, 55% said YES (I voted NO).  After yesterdays debacle, another poll: "Are the Yankees right in making Joba a starter?"  Again, I voted NO.  After 10,500 votes, it's now 55% NO.  This is just like all the prognosticators who predict this years winners by picking all of last years winners.  Thanks guys, lots of guts there.
 
A word about the debacle:  we hear all the time that umpires give NO breaks to new pitchers.  I'm sure all the hoopla over Chamberlain's first start didn't help, either.
 
BUT!   Am I the only one who thought Joba got squeezed?  Am I the only one who thought Halliday didn't?  I'm not saying he was great, but he certainly didn't get any help on close pitches.  Of course, the Yankees  powerful  lineup was no help either nor was their  smothering  bullpen.
 
It seems that just when they get something started, here comes Abreu (in a slump) or Cano (in a big slump) or Molina (who would have to get better to be in a slump) to quell the rally.  Eventually we are going to see these names in the opposing teams stats under "saves".
 
Would someone please tell the bullpen it's OK to throw overhand?
 
Girardi has a handle on it: "We have to play better".  Really?  "I thought I pitched pretty well."
 
Best play last night was Abreu catching a ball UP AGAINST THE FENCE.  I'll say it again: Up Against The Fence.  Of course, afterwards he was yelling like crazy towards the dugout.  Those of us who can read lips, know he was saying "Who the hell moved the fence in without telling me?"
 
I think tonight's game is going to be a six-pack contest.  After six beers, it shouldn't hurt so much. 

No comments: